Day 31 - 5-8-10 - More small tidy up type jobs today and a couple of more involved ones.
I trimmed down the bolts that attach the bikini fairing mount to the adapter brackets. The last one took a while as my hacksaw blade went blunt! I had a go at making a tail tidy from the original massive air brake type trellis thing. But it looked well nasty and so I'm going to order an Evo Tech one as they are the nicest I have seen.
I got my bodywork ready for taking to the painters including taking the fuel pump, fuel filler and brackets off the fuel tank. That's all now at the painters, so hopefully I will have some lovely Ford Aquarius Blue bodywork by the weekend. It's the same colour as the blue on my race bike. Unlike my race bike (which I painted) it will be nice shinny paintwork. Can't wait to get that back. I'll have to resist the temptation to put it all on before I finish the other bits. It'll be hard though!
OK, on to the bigger jobs. Drain the oil and coolant. First remove the radiator which came off nice and easy. Then onto the exhaust system. The silencer is easy to remove, just two bolts. Then the header pipes. I was expecting these to put up a fight because they are as rusty as a very rusty thing that lives at the bottom of the sea. I know this bike is a 2006 model and has been ridden in all weathers, but it only has 5,000 miles on the clock and the condition of some of the fasteners is disgusting. Check out the shot of the EXUP valve. The cables were seized in. Luckily the replacement system had all these parts already so when I put them on I shall be applying liberal doses of copaslip to try and keep them looking nice and more importantly not seizing up.
Anyway the header pipe nuts came off with no drama and no busted threads on the studs in the head, which was a relief. A couple more nuts undone, remove the Lambda sensor in the exhaust and off the header pipes come, with no drama. Next job was to get the engine cases off for powder coating. Started on the right and all three came off no bother. However in the clutch cover there are two bearings and when powder coating you need to remove bearings, well on wheels anyway. Powder coating is looking less likely now as I'm not going to try and get those bearings out. Then onto the left casing. A bit more effort to move this one. I get it about 10cm away from the gearbox and then it feels like there is something attached. I daren't pull any harder in case I bust something. This isn't good. Time to walk away.
I go straight to my computer and read the service manual. It says the alternator is housed in the casing and when removing you have to pull against the magnets in the alternator. Hmmmm. They must be pretty strong magnets, coz I'm pulling quite hard. I sleep on it.
Next day I pop into my local dealer and ask him. As far as he can remember you just pull it off. Street Tango (on Triumph675.net) also said the same thing. When I get home from work it's straight to the bike and give the case a good pull. Off she comes. Relief. I look at the alternator and decide that because of that and the bearings in the other side I'm not getting the cases powder coated. Some rattle cans will do the job. Next job is to get the sump off.
Went along to the paint shop today to put on my tank stickers. I did it myself so that if I made a mess of it I only had myself to blame. That went well. All the other bits had been lacquered so they just have the tank to do now. They hoped to do it today so that they could leave them all to harden/dry over the weekend.
If you would like to receive an email update when the next instalment is published then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org putting "Project Daytona Street Updates" in the subject box. Don't worry I'm not going to spam you, you will only receive an email whenever I update this site.