Day 28 & 29 - 31-7-10 - Well I wrapped it up today. The loom that is, not the project. Takes some time I can tell you, but got the loom completely recovered now (see pics) and things looking a lot more normal under the tank. I was annoyed to find a loose wire in one of my connector blocks from the handlebars, so fixed that. I had used the proper crimping tool for the spade connectors so disappointed that that had happened. Hopefully that wont occur again.
I relocated the flapper valve. I was going to fit a resistor in its place, but I have been told that these can run way too hot, so I decided to keep it and find it a new home. It's only a small part and weight is not an issue as it isn't a race bike. Plus it means one less thing that I haven't changed from standard. I was looking at mounting it where the expansion bottle used to sit, but in the end I found a small gap in front of the battery and it jams in nicely there (see photo). I had to solder some extra wires so I could run the connector to it.
Finally managed to get the left frame infill fitted. Bit of a squeeze with all the wires and throttle cable. The SAI is once again proving to be a nuisance. With the bracket for the rad cowl fitted there isn't enough space for the SAI and airbox, so I may have to cut down the rad cowl bracket to fit it all in. I have a bracket on order so I'll know when it arrives.
I got the fuel pump relay recall parts from my dealer and fitted those. So now all the relay posts on top of my airbox are full. Glad about that as I wondered why I had one extra!
I'm getting near to the end of the build, so starting to get a bit excited now. The stickers I ordered have held things up by a week. The first ones they sent me there was a bigger gap between two of the letters compared to the others and it looked well biff. So I got them to redo it. Once I have these I can get the bodywork off to the painters. Some small jobs to be done now, just tidying things up. The bigger jobs still to do are change the sump, change the exhaust system, fit the Street Triple radiator, get the engine cases powder coated. I'll do all those together as I have to drop all the oil and water out and remove the radiator to get at the exhaust.
Day 30 - 4-8-10 - Managed to get in the garage for a few hours after work today. I made a protective grille for the air intake on the new bikini fairing mount. There is a large grille in front of this moulded into the bodywork, but I thought I would add to it. I had some old chicken wire in the garage, originally purchased in 1996 (!) when I made a radiator guard for my ZX-7R. As on that bike it's hidden away, so it doesn't need to look pretty. That said, I still sprayed it black anyway. I also made another one for where the bikini fairing mount attaches to the frame intake area. Don't want any large wildlife finding its way into the airbox!
Whilst I had the spray can out I also sprayed the instrument adapter mount so it blends in a bit better and the heavy steel mount brackets that attach the whole plot to the front of the bike, again so they blend in and also to try and stop them rusting. I had to get the grinder on them to finish them off prior to painting.
You can see from the photo where I had to cut away material from the brackets, otherwise there may not have been enough air able to pass into the airbox. In fact there may still be a slight hinderance to the air coming in, but I figure it will make the bike run rich so I shouldn't need to worry. In any case I plan to install a Power Commander and get the bike set up on a Dyno, so that should be able to adjust the fueling to suit.
Did a bit more taping on the mini loom for the headlights and added a plastic cover to the loom that runs to the speedo for waterproofing.
If you would like to receive an email update when the next instalment is published then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org putting "Project Daytona Street Updates" in the subject box. Don't worry I'm not going to spam you, you will only receive an email whenever I update this site.