Day 22 - 22-6-10 - When fitting my bikini fairing I noticed that the metal adapter plates I have made severely limit the air coming through the headstock intake. As such I have had to cut parts of the brackets away to allow the air to flow as freely as possible. It shouldn't weaken the brackets as they are made from 6mm steel.
I fitted the new front brake hose which is the OE hose from a Street Triple R as it uses the same set up as the Daytona. Although the handlebars I've fitted are very similar to the Street Triple OE bars, the brake hose does seem to be only just long enough. I have checked the length by raising the front wheel off the ground to get the suspension at full extension and it isn't pulling on the connections, so it should be OK. While the hoses were disconnected I cleaned the calipers thoroughly. I was surprised to see a little pitting in the brake pistons. The bike has only done about 4,000 miles (admittedly in any weather) so this seems a bit premature. I made a very temporary bracket to hold the front brake fluid reservoir. After that I bled the brakes.
I mounted the forks flush with the yoke. I know that the Street Triple has them about 5mm above the yoke, but as I have no steering damper fitted now I thought I go for the laziest steering to start with to avoid any possible tank slappers. Fine tweaking of the handling is further down the road. Did I just make a joke?
As I was off to the UK with the van a few weeks ago I thought I would deliver my wheels personally to the powder coaters. As such I had to remove the bearings and give the wheels a good clean. The bearings came out quite easily. I'm sure putting the new ones in wont be as simple!
Day 23 - 23-6-10 - I have my wheels back and they are now perfect Essex Girl style: white. Yeah I know, they will be a pig to keep clean, but I like them. I fitted the new bearings and discs to the front wheel and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Then I went to do the rear wheel, only to realise I didn't have a suitable tool to knock the new bearings in. I'd used an old imperial socket to do the front ones, but I have nothing big enough for the rear. I basically need a socket with an outside diameter of 45mm, so I had to go off to the tool shop to buy a cheap socket.
Properly tooled up now, so got the bearings in for the rear wheel. Fitted the discs back on and then took them down to the garage to get some new rubber put on. I went for the new Metzeler Sportec M5 as they had good reviews and I have used Metzeler race tyres (Racetecs) for a number of years and really like them. I didn't realise until I got them that they are the tyres with the lean meter moulded into the rubber. Well funny. Once back home I refitted the wheels.
After that I just did some small jobs. Fitted some new indicators to the front fairing. Gone for some Motrax short stem arrow with normal bulbs. Did think about LED bulbs, but most seem to come with clear lenses, which I don't like and also I didn't want the hassle of having to wire in a relay to make sure they flash at the correct speed.
I once again pondered that gap above the speedo. I still haven't got a solution, but I'm sure something will occur to me eventually. Fitted the Street Triple brackets that hold on the brake and clutch levers. Just the rear section that clamps to the handlebar as it has the thread to fit mirrors. Had thought about bar end mirrors, but decided I don't like them. I actually don't like mirrors on a bike full stop. Spoils the looks in my opinion. I don't use them on the Island, but fit them when I pop over to France, where the make life easier at the higher speeds over there, plus you have to have them by law.
That's it for a week as me and Mrs Ruby Racing are going to France to chill out. Bit of a shame as I have the new battery now and I'm ready for the first shakedown run. Just got to get those fault codes cleared first. That reminds me, must book the bike into the dealer to have that done when I get back. It might be a weeks holiday, but it's going to be a long week thinking about that first ride!
If you would like to receive an email update when the next instalment is published then please email me at email@example.com putting "Project Daytona Street Updates" in the subject box. Don't worry I'm not going to spam you, you will only receive an email whenever I update this site.